I read all the Rift War stuff years ago, although there’s been a few books added since so i’d like to go back and re-read it all together sometime. However, i’m not paying the current price for them, so they’ll sit in The Boneyard until they’re somewhat cheaper.
You can read these books as they’re listed in the chronological reading order on Raymond’s website. But, seriously, that ain’t the way to enjoy this story.
To enjoy these books to the fullest the first few books need to be bounced back and forth as our main Character, Pug, appears here, there and everywhere, as he journeys back and forth through the rifts. After all is read and done, the rifts are what this is all about, so why not get the full experience of them yourself as you travel through them with Pug from book to book?
So, presuming you’re not going to be boring and have decided to come along for a rift hopping adventure, then you’ll need to make sure you have the following books before you get to them in the story…
The Wood Boy (not necessary as is a stand alone but fits in here if you are going to read it)
- Read ‘Magician’ until the end of Chapter 19 and then read ‘Daughter of the Empire’.
- Then read ‘Servant of the Empire’ until the end of Chapter 5, where we meet up with Pug again.
- Then start reading from where you left off in ‘Magician’ up until the end of Chapter 22 and then go back to where you left off in ‘Servant of the Empire’.
- At some point in ‘Magician’ (sorry can’t exactly remember) Arutha and Jimmy are at the docks and Arutha throws Jimmy a sword, that’s when you put ‘Servant of the Empire’ and ‘Magician’ aside and read ‘Jimmy the Hand’
- Read ‘Servant of the Empire’ until the end of Chapter 14 and then read ‘Magician’ until the end of Chapter 28.
- The stadium scene is where Pug awakens to his true powers. You can ether read this first from Pug’s perspective by reading ‘Magician’, or you can stay with ‘Servant of the Empire’ and read this first from Mara’s perspective as an outsider who doesn’t know Pug – it’s one or the other and it’s entirely your choice, both are good. Then read until the rift is closed, and then catch up with the book you didn’t choose from before the stadium scene until the rift is closed.
- Now read ‘Servant of the Empire’ until it mentions the rift is open again.
- Now finish ‘Magician’, then read ‘The Wood Boy’, ‘Honoured Enemy’, ‘Murder in Lamut’ ‘Silverthorn’ and ‘A Darkness At Sethanon’.
- Now finish ‘Servant of the Empire’ and then read ‘Krondor: The Betrayal’ followed by ‘Mistress of the Empire’.
And that concludes all the fun, book hopping shenanigans – hope you enjoyed it as much as i do (i’ve done it three times and never get bored with it).
Then follow the books as they’re listed below…
The Riftwar Legacy
The Serpentwar Saga…
Conclave of the Shadows
Talon of the Silver Hawk
King of Foxes
Flight of the Nighthawks
Into a Dark Realm
Wrath of a Mad God
Rides a Dread Legion
At the Gates of Darkness
A Kingdom Besieged
A Crown Imperiled